Monday, March 7, 2011

Exploring Possibilities

This past weekend I attended a 2 day workshop on the Anat Baniel Method.  The workshop was specifically geared toward parents and professionals who work with children who have special needs.  Anat Baniel is a student of Feldenkrais, who designed therapy to improve function within the body through movements that increase self awareness. 

To be honest, I was most looking forward to the time to catch up with, and bounce ideas off, my friends who also have new babies with spina bifida.  The conversations did not disappoint.  In addition, throughout my professional teaching career I was incredibly interested in brain research as it relates to learning.  The information presented throughout the weekend was right up my alley in that way.  I learned much about the brain's involvement in, and need for, movement with attention.  

The conference gave me a lot to process and left me with decisions to make as to how we would like to progress with therapy for Gabe in the months to come.  I am sure I will be writing more about this soon, but for now I need to take some time to review my mind's notes and summarize my feelings about what was presented.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. That sounds very interesting. I can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a great conference!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate all of your comments and love.
Encouraged by you,
Gabe & his Momma